The Alaska Region of NOAA Fisheries oversees sustainable fisheries that produce about half the fish caught in US waters, with responsibilities covering 842,000 square nautical miles off Alaska. The Alaska Region also works to ensure the viability of protected speciesprincipally marine mammalsand to protect and enhance Alaska's marine habitat.
In the News
- NOAA Fisheries releases regional saltwater recreational fisheries action agendas for 2014-2015
- Alaska salmon fisheries to receive nearly $21M in fishery disaster relief funds
- Six fisheries in U.S. to receive fishery disaster relief funds
- Cook Inlet Beluga Whale Conference
- 2014 Update: 2011 Pinniped Unusual Mortality Event
- Charter halibut
- Marine Mammal Authorization Certificate
- Federal fisheries observer program
Public Comment Periods
- Notice of a request for a new information collection. The NPFMC is requesting each sector in the BSAI Groundfish fisheries voluntarily provide a progress report for implementing measures to minimize the incidental catch of halibut. These progress reports are to be provided to the NPFMC at its June 2014 meeting. Comment period through May 5, 2014.
- Notice that NMFS has received an application from Furie Operating Alaska LLC for an Incidental Harassment Authorization to take marine mammals, by harassment, incidental to a proposed 3D seismic survey in Cook Inlet, Alaska, between May 2014 and May 2015. Comment period through April 3, 2014.
- Notice of a request for a new information collection about the Sentinel Site Program (SSP). The purpose of the SSP is to engage local, state, and federal managers as part of a team to ensure the types of science conducted, information gathered, and products developed are immediately used for better management. Comment period though April 14, 2014.
- Notice that the comment period on the draft guidance for assessing the effects of anthropogenic sound on marine mammal species under NOAA's jurisdiction has been reopened. The comment period has been extended through March 13, 2014.
- Notice of a request for an extension of a currently approved information collection for the BSAI king and Tanner crab fisheries. Comment period through March 31, 2014.
- Notice of a request for an extension of an information collection on special permits issued to participants of the Pacific halibut subsistence fishery. Comment period through March 25, 2014.
- Tips for Submitting Effective Public Comments