Steller Sea Lion Protection Measures Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
NMFS, in consultation with the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (Council) prepared the Draft Environmental Impact Statement/Regulatory Impact Review/Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis (EIS/RIR/IRFA) to provide decision-makers and the public with an evaluation of the environmental, social, and economic effects of alternatives to the Steller sea lion protection measures for the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Management Area groundfish fisheries, in particular the Atka mackerel, Pacific cod, and pollock fisheries in the Aleutian Islands. The western distinct population segment (WDPS) of Steller sea lions is listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act, and the species population in the Aleutian Islands is declining. Atka mackerel, Pacific cod, and pollock are principal prey species for Steller sea lions in the Aleutian Islands. This proposed action would implement Steller sea lion protection measures for the Aleutian Islands Atka mackerel, Pacific cod, and pollock fisheries to mitigate the potential fishery impacts on the WDPS of Steller sea lions in a manner that minimizes economic impacts to these fisheries. NMFS will consider public comments on the draft EIS/RIR/IRFA from the 60-day review period and will complete the final EIS in early 2014.
You may request a printed copy of the Final EIS be mailed to you.
Read online or download a printable copy (broken into several PDFs below).
- Dear Reviewer Letter
- Executive Summary
- Volume 1: Executive Summary and Chapters 1-7
- Volume 2: Chapters 8-12
- Notice of Availability. Comment period through July 16, 2013.
- Errata Sheet for Steller Sea Lion Documents for the June 2013 Meeting of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council, June 2013
- Initial Feedback on the Preliminary Preferred Alternative in the Steller Sea Lion Protection Measures EIS for the Groundfish Fisheries of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands, NMFS Alaska Region Protected Resources Division, May 2013
- Analytical Approach for 2014 Groundfish Biological Opinion, NMFS Alaska Region Protected Resources Division, May 2013
- Scoping Report: Steller Sea Lion Protection Measures for Groundfish Fisheries in the BSAI Management Area Environmental Impact Statement, November 2012
- 77 FR 52674, August 30, 2012. Notice of a public scoping meeting on October 2, 2012, in Anchorage, AK. Public comment period through October 15, 2012.
- Potential Scoping Issues
- 77 FR 22750, April 17, 2012. Notice of intent to prepare an environmental impact statement (EIS) on Steller sea lion protection measures for the BSAI groundfish fisheries for the western distinct population segment of Steller sea lions, in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969. Comment period through October 15, 2012
- News Release: April 17, 2012
Related Information and Documents
- Steller Sea Lion Protection Measures
- BSAI and GOA Groundfish Fisheries Section 7 Consultation - Biological Opinion, December 2010
- 2010 Biological Opinion Litigation: State of Alaska v. Sullivan (previously called State of Alaska v. Lubchenco)
- Steller sea lion protection measures final rule:
- 75 FR 77535, December 13, 2010. Interim final rule to implement Steller sea lion protection measures to insure that the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands management area (BSAI) groundfish fisheries off Alaska are not likely to jeopardize the continued existence of the western distinct population segment (DPS) of Steller sea lions or adversely modify its designated critical habitat
- EA/RIR of Revisions to the Steller Sea Lion Protection Measures for the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Management Area Groundfish Fisheries. EA/RIR Errata. Finding of No Significant Impact. EA/RIR dated: December 8, 2010
← Sustainable Fisheries | Catch Statistics | Steller Sea Lions | Critical Habitat