The Alaska Region of NOAA Fisheries oversees sustainable fisheries that produce about half the fish caught in US waters, with responsibilities covering 842,000 square nautical miles off Alaska. The Alaska Region also works to ensure the viability of protected speciesprincipally marine mammalsand to protect and enhance Alaska's marine habitat.
In the News
Public Comment Periods
- Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to analyze the environmental impacts of issuing Incidental Take Authorizations (ITAs) pursuant to the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) for the taking of marine mammals incidental to anthropogenic activities in the waters of Cook Inlet, Alaska. NMFS will hold a public scoping meeting to begin the scoping process. Comments, written statements, and questions regarding the scoping process and preparation of the EIS must be received no later than December 29, 2014.
- Notice that NMFS is considering the adoption of a new competitive, merit-based, financial assistance program supporting research on Alaska pinniped populations. To this end, NMFS is soliciting comments from the public and the marine mammal research community concerning possible program priorities to consider for an annual Alaska Pinniped Research Program. Comment period through November 7, 2014.
- Notice of availability that the North Pacific Fishery Management Council has submitted Amendment 104 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI. If approved, this amendment would designate six areas of skate egg concentration as Habitat Areas of Particular Concern. Comment period through December 8, 2014.
- Proposed rule to implement Amendment 107 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI. This Amendment would establish seasonal transit areas for vessels designated on Federal Fisheries Permits through Walrus Protection Areas in northern Bristol Bay, AK. Comment period through November 3, 2014.
- Notice of availability of Amendment 107 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI to establish seasonal transit areas for vessels designated on Federal Fisheries Permits through Walrus Protection Areas in northern Bristol Bay, AK. Comment period through November 24, 2014.
- Notice of a proposed information collection and request for comments for the Alaska Chinook salmon economic data report (EDR). Comment period through November 24, 2014.
- Notice of a proposed continuing information collection for Alaska Region Logbook family of forms. Comment period through November 17, 2014.
- Notice of a request for an extension of a currently approved information collection for the Vessel Monitoring System. Comment period through November 14, 2014.
- Notice of a request for an extension of a current information collection on the National Marine Mammal Tissue Bank. Comment period through October 24, 2014.
- Tips for Submitting Effective Public Comments