Restructured Observer Program
North Pacific Groundfish and Halibut Fisheries Observer Program
The new North Pacific Observer Program (Observer Program) goes into effect January 2013 and makes important changes to how observers are deployed, how observer coverage is funded, and the vessels and processors that must have some or all of their operations observed. These changes will increase the statistical reliability of data collected by the program, address cost inequality among fishery participants, and expand observer coverage to previously unobserved fisheries. This change is necessary to successfully manage our Alaskan fishery resources.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Summary of the New Observer Program
- Observer Coverage in CDQ Fisheries
- Outreach Meetings
- News Release, November 2012
* This program information constitutes the Small Entity Compliance Guide required under section 212 of the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996.
Annual Deployment Plan (ADP)
- FINAL 2014 Annual Deployment Plan December 2013 NEW!
- Supplemental Information Report, December 2013 NEW!
- Draft 2014 ADP, September 2013
- Letter to NPFMC on 2014 ADP Issues, September 2013
- 2013 Annual Performance Review, June 2013
- FINAL 2013 Observer Program Annual Deployment Plan, January 2013
- Supplemental Information Report, January 2013
- Letter to NPFMC on 2013 ADP Issues, November 2012
- Draft 2013 ADP, October 2012
- Observer Fee Information
- 78 FR 73842, December 09, 2013. Notice of the standard ex-vessel prices for groundfish and halibut for the calculation of the observer fee under the North Pacific Groundfish and Halibut Observer Program. Fees are due to NMFS on or before February 15, 2015. NEW!
- Online Observer Fee Payment (eFISH)
- Observer Fee Payment Form (Example ONLY)
- Standard Ex-vessel Prices for 2013 (Excel format)
- 77 FR 76459, December 28, 2012. Notice of standard ex-vessel prices for groundfish and halibut for the calculation of the observer fee under the North Pacific Groundfish and Halibut Observer Program.
- Port and port groups used to determine standard prices for observer fees
Observer Deploy and Declare System (ODDS)
- Letter to Vessel owners who were selected for Coverage
- Introduction Letter to All Vessel Owners in the Vessel Selection Pool
- Electronic Monitoring (EM) Pilot Study
- EM Installation Specifications
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More information about EM in Alaska
- EFP for the Alaska Longline Fishermen's Association to evaluate integrating EM on fixed gear vessels
Regulations and Analysis
- 77 FR 70062, November 21, 2012. Final rule to implement Amendment 86 to the Fishery
Management Plan for Groundfish of the BSAI Management Area and
Amendment 76 to the Fishery Management Plan for Groundfish of the GOA. Amendments 86/76 add a funding and deployment system for observer
coverage to the existing North Pacific Groundfish Observer Program and
amend existing observer coverage requirements for vessels and processing plants.
- 77 FR 29961, May 21, 2012. Notice of a public hearing on the proposed restructuring of the funding and deployment system for observers in the North Pacific groundfish and halibut fisheries.
- 77 FR 23326, April 18, 2012. Proposed regulations to implement Amendment 86 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI and Amendment 76 to the FMP for Groundfish of the GOA.
- News Release: NOAA seeks public input on a new observer program structure for Alaska fisheries
- 77 FR 22753, April 17, 2012. Notice of public hearings.
- 77 FR 15019, March 14, 2012. Notice of availability of Amendment 86 to the Fishery Management Plan (FMP) for Groundfish of the BSAI Management Area (BSAI) and Amendment 76 to the FMP for Groundfish of the GOA.
- EA/RIR/IRFA for BSAI Amendment 86 and GOA Amendment 76 on Restructuring the Program for Observer Procurement and Deployment in the North Pacific, March 2011 and FONSI, June 2012
Request for Proposals (RFP)
- FedBizOpps RFP information for prospective observer service vendors to provide observer support services under the restructured observer program. (external link)
- Contract Award (September 2012)
- NOAA Fisheries, National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Regional Office
- Sustainable Fisheries Division, PH: (907) 586-7228
- Observer Program Questions (FMA Division - Seattle)
- To log trips over the phone contact the