Amendment 80 to the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Fishery Management Plan (FMP)
Dutch Harbor, Alaska. Photo: NOAA Fisheries
Amendment 80 was adopted by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (Council) in June 2006. The final rule implementing Amendment 80 published in the Federal Register on September 14, 2007. This action allocates several Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) non-pollock trawl groundfish species among trawl fishery sectors, and facilitate the formation of harvesting cooperatives in the non-American Fisheries Act (non-AFA) trawl catcher/processor sector.
The Council adopted Amendment 80 to meet the broad goals of: (1) improving retention and utilization of fishery resources by the non-AFA trawl catcher/processor fleet by extending the groundfish retention standard (GRS) to non-AFA trawl catcher/processor vessels of all lengths; (2) allocating fishery resources among BSAI trawl harvesters in consideration of historic and present harvest patterns and future harvest needs; (3) authorizing the allocation of groundfish species to harvesting cooperatives and establishing a limited access privilege program (LAPP) for the non-AFA trawl catcher/processors to reduce potential GRS compliance costs, encourage fishing practices with lower discard rates, and improve the opportunity for increasing the value of harvested species; and (4) limiting the ability of non-AFA trawl catcher/processors to expand their harvesting capacity into other fisheries not managed under a LAPP.
The groundfish species in the BSAI directly affected by Amendment 80 include Atka mackerel, Aleutian Islands Pacific ocean perch, Flathead sole, Pacific cod, Rock sole, and Yellowfin sole. In addition, Amendment 80 modified the management of halibut and crab prohibited species catch (PSC) limits.
Amendment 80 Fishery Information
Allocations - Groundfish and Prohibited Species Catch (PSC)
- Allocations 2008-present: For Amendment 80 BSAI allocations, refer to the BSAI harvest specification tables for Atka mackerel; Pacific cod; Aleutian Islands Pacific ocean perch, flathead sole, rock sole, and yellowfin sole; and the PSC limits. There are tables for Amendment 80 sideboard limits in the GOA harvest specifications.
Applications, Forms and Online Services
- eFISH: Check account balances, view ledger reports, make inter-group transfers, apply for a flatfish exchange
- Flatfish Exchange Application (PDF is read-only. Applications must be filled out online)
- Application to Transfer Quota Share
- Application to Transfer Cooperative Quota
- Application for Quota Share
- Application for the Limited Access Fishery
- Application for Cooperative and CQ Permit Issuance
- Application for Amendment 80 Vessel Replacement
- Economic Data Report
Amendment 105 - Flatfish Exchange Program for A80 and CDQ Groups
- 79 FR 56671, September 23, 2014. Final rule to implement Amendment 105 to the
FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI. Effective October 23, 2014.
- 79 FR 36702, June 30, 2014. Proposed rule to implement Amendment 105 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI. Comment period through July 30, 2014.
- 79 FR 33889, June 13, 2014. Notice of availability of Amendment 105 to the FMP for the Groundfish of the BSAI. This amendment would establish a process for Western Alaska Community Development Quota groups and cooperatives to exchange quota of one of three flatfish for an equal amount of another of these three flatfish species. Comment period through August 12, 2014.
- RIR/IRFA for Amendment 105 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI - Bering Sea Flatfish Harvest Specifications Flexibility, July 2014
Groundfish Retention Standard
- 78 FR 12627, February 25, 2013. Regulatory amendment to modify the groundfish retention standard program in the BSAI by removing certain regulatory requirements that mandate minimum levels of groundfish retention by the owners and operators of trawl C/P vessels not listed in the American Fisheries Act (AFA), commonly referred to as either non-AFA trawl C/Ps or Amendment 80 vessels, and Amendment 80 cooperatives participating in the BSAI groundfish fisheries. Effective March 27, 2013.
- Final RIR/EA/IRFA to Remove the Groundfish Retention Standard for the Non-AFA Trawl Catcher/Processors in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands, December 2012
- 77 FR 62482, October 15, 2012. Proposed rule to modify the groundfish retention standard program in the BSAI management. Comment period through November 14, 2012.
- Draft EA/RIR/IRFA to Remove the Groundfish Retention Standard for the Non-AFA Trawl Catcher/Processors in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands, September 2012
Amendment 97 - Trawl Catcher/Processor Vessel Replacement (AFA and Amendment 80 vessels)
- 77 FR 59852, October 1, 2012. Regulations to implement Amendment 97 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI. Amendment 97 allows the owner of a trawl catcher/processor vessel authorized to participate in the Amendment 80 catch share program to replace that vessel with a vessel that meets certain requirements.
- Discussion Paper: Trawl Catcher/Processor Vessel Replacement (AFA and Amendment 80 vessels)
- The North Pacific Fishery Management Council requested a discussion paper...continued >>
- Final RIR/EA/IRFA for Amendment 97 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI - Amendment 80 Vessel Replacement, June 2012; FONSI, June 2012
- NMFS Letter re: application of sideboards when an AFA vessel is fishing on behalf of a CDQ group, July 2011
- Implementation of Amendment 80 Vessel Replacement Provisions, Arctic Sole Seafoods v. Gutierrez, October 2008
Amendment 93 - Harvesting Cooperatives Criteria
- 76 FR 68354, November 4, 2011. Final regulations to implement Amendment 93 to the Fishery Management Plan for Groundfish of the BSAI. Effective on December 5, 2011, except for the provisions at CFR 679.91(h)(3)(ii) and (iii), effective November 4, 2011.
Checklist - Small Entity Compliance Guide
- Alaska Groundfish Cooperative: 2013, 2012, 2011
- Alaska Seafood Cooperative (formerly Best Use Cooperative): 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Permits Issued and Related Information
- A-80 Cooperatives and Member Vessels: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- A-80 Limited Access Permits and Holders: 2015, 2014 (no vessels), 2013 (no vessels), 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- A-80 Quota Share Holders: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- A-80 Quota Share Pools: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
- Initial Issuance of A-80 QS holders
- Final Fishery Denominators
- 76 FR 31881, June 2, 2011. Emergency rule extension exempting trawl catcher/processor vessels that are not specified in regulation as American Fisheries Act vessels, and Amendment 80 cooperatives from the groundfish retention standard program in the BSAI management area. Effective from June 13, 2011, through December 17, 2011
- 75 FR 78172, December 15, 2010. Emergency rule to exempt trawl catcher/ processor vessels, that are not specified in regulation as American Fisheries Act vessels, and Amendment 80 cooperatives from the groundfish retention standard in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands management area. Effective December 15, 2010 through June 13, 2011. Comments must be received by January 14, 2010.
- 73 FR 27768, May 14, 2008. Correction to 72 FR 52668 (September 14, 2007). Effective January 1, 2008.
Fishery Management Plan (FMP) Amendment
- 72 FR 21198, April 30, 2007. Notice of Availability of Amendment 80 to the BSAI FMP.
- Amendment 80 to BSAI FMP
PH: (907) 586-7228