Steller Sea Lion Critical Habitat and No-Entry Zones
Critical habitat areas, designated by the National Marine Fisheries Service on August 27, 1993, respond to requirements of the Endangered Species Act (50 CFR 226.202). Steller sea lion critical habitat includes a 20 nautical mile buffer around all major haulouts and rookeries, as well as associated terrestrial, air and aquatic zones, and three large offshore foraging areas. NMFS has implemented a complex suite of fishery management measures designed to minimize competition between fishing and the endangered population of Steller sea lions in critical habitat areas. Those management measures are the Steller sea lion protection measures.
- Steller Sea Lion Critical Habitat Review Public Meetings
- Meeting Presentations
- Notice of a change in a public meeting to elicit scientific information related to the designation of Steller sea lion critical habitat. NMFS will make the meeting available via webinar, will also host a second public meeting, and will accept written submissions. The meetings will be held on September 22, 2014 and on October 8, 2014. Statements of interest and abstracts for the second meeting must be received by September 22, 2014.
- Public meeting to elicit external scientific information related to NMFS's review of Steller sea lion critical habitat under the Endangered Species Act. The meeting will be held September 22, 2014, in Seattle, WA; statements of interest and abstracts are due by August 29, 2014.
- 50 CFR 226.202
- 58 FR 45269, August 27, 1993. Final rule to designate critical habitat for Steller sea lions in certain areas and waters of Alaska, Oregon and California. Effective September 27, 1993.
- 58 FR 17181, April 1, 1993. Proposed rule to designate critical habitat for Steller sea lions
- Environmental Assessment of a NMFS Action to Designate Critical Habitat for Steller Sea Lions, September 1992
Rookery No-Entry Zones
- Three Nautical Mile No-Entry Zone: 50 CFR 224.103
- Listed Steller Sea Lion Rookery Sites: Table 1 - 50 CFR 224.103
- Steller Sea Lion Protection Measures
- National Environmental Laws
- Alaska Groundfish Harvest Specifications
- Alaska Groundfish Fisheries Regulations