National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Regional Office


Home | Restricted Access Management | Subsistence Halibut

Subsistence Halibut Special Permit Application and Renewal

To obtain or renew Community Harvest Permits, Ceremonial Permits, or Educational Permits, you must comply with the existing registration and reporting process for a Subsistence Halibut Registration Certificate (SHARC) and qualify for a special permit.

Community Harvest Permit Qualifications

An Area 2C or Area 3A community or Alaska Native tribe listed in 50 CFR 300.65(g)(1) or 50 CFR 300.65 (g)(2) may apply for a CHP. A CHP allows the community or Alaska Native tribe to appoint one or more individuals from its respective community or tribe to harvest subsistence halibut from a single vessel under reduced gear and harvest restrictions.NMFS will issue a Community Harvest Permit to a community only if:

1. A) the applying community is listed as eligible in Area 2C or Area 3A according to 50 CFR Part 300.65(g)(1); and B) no Alaska Native tribe listed in 50 CFR Part 300.65(g)(2) exists in that community.

2. If the applying tribe is listed as eligible in Area 2C or Area 3A under 50 CFR 300.65(g)(2).

3. If the eligible community or Alaska Native tribe appoints only one CHP coordinator per community or tribe.

Ceremonial or Educational Permit Qualifications

Ceremonial and Educational Permits are available exclusively to Alaska Native tribes. An Area 2C or 3A Alaska Native tribe listed in 50 CFR Part 300.65(g)(2) may apply for a Ceremonial or Educational Permit. Ceremonial Applications can be applied for below. Eligible Alaska Native tribes may appoint only one Ceremonial Permit Coordinator per tribe for Ceremonial Permits, or one authorized Instructor per tribe for Educational Permits. Ceremonial and Educational Permits are permits subject to regulation under 50 CFR 679.4(a).

Educational Permits may not be applied for online. Please see the application instructions in 50 CFR 300.65(g)(2).

Special Permit Application or Renewal
Select the type of special permit:

Are you applying for a new permit or a renewal of an existing permit?

If this is a permit renewal, please enter your permit number:
Permit Number:


This is a United States Department of Commerce computer system, which may be accessed and used only for official Government business by authorized personnel. Unauthorized access or use of this computer system may subject violators to criminal, civil, and/or administrative action. All information on this computer system may be intercepted, recorded, read, copied, and disclosed by and to authorized personnel for official purposes, including criminal investigations. Access or use of this computer system by any person whether authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to these terms.


Acknowledge and Accept 

Before completing this form please note the following:
1) The NMFS may not conduct or sponsor this information request, and you are not required to respond to this information request, unless the form displays a currently valid OMB control number;
2) This information is being used to implement the Alaska Subsistence Halibut Program;
3) Federal law and regulations require and authorize NMFS to manage subsistence halibut programs in Alaska;
4) Submission of this information is mandatory for any tribe participating in subsistence fishing for Pacific halibut under the Ceremonial or Educational Permit Programs;
5) This information is used to monitor the subsistence halibut program under the Northern Pacific Halibut Act of 1982;
6) Responses to this information request are not confidential.

NOTE: This site allows access to the online format for Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approved forms.

Public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 10 minutes per response, including the time for reviewing the instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the data needed, and completing and reviewing the collection of information. Send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information, including suggestions for reducing the burden, to the Assistant Regional Administrator, Sustainable Fisheries Division, Alaska Region, NMFS, P.O. Box 21668, Juneau, AK 99802-1668.

Please call RAM at (800) 304-4846 (option #2) or (907) 586-7202 (option #2) during business hours, or email