Bering Sea Chum Salmon Bycatch
Bering Sea Chum Salmon Bycatch Management Analysis
Non-Chinoook salmon are accidentally caught in the federally managed pollock fisheries in the Gulf of Alaska (GOA) and in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI). Four species of salmon (sockeye, coho, pink, and chum) are aggregated into the "non-chinook salmon" species category. Chum salmon, however, comprises over 99.6% of the total bycatch of this chum salmon category.
Amendment 84 established the salmon bycatch intercooperative agreement (ICA) which allows vessels participating in the directed fisheries for pollock in the Bering Sea to utilize their internal cooperative structure to reduce salmon bycatch. We continue to considering new measures to minimize chum salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea pollock fishery because of the potential negative impacts on salmon stocks in general.
BSAI Salmon Catch Reports
- 2015 Prohibited Species Catch Reports: annual, seasonal
- BSAI Non-Chinook Salmon Mortality Estimates, 1991 - present
- BSAI Chinook Salmon Mortality Estimates, 1991 - present
- Non-Chinook Salmon Bycatch Reduction Intercooperative Agreements: 2010, 2008
Forms and Applications
BSAI Amendment 84
- 72 FR 61070, October 29, 2007. Final rule to implement the provisions of Amendment 84 on regulations governing salmon bycatch in the BSAI. Effective November 28, 2007.
- 72 FR 19454, April 18, 2007. Proposed rule to amend regulations governing salmon bycatch in the BSAI. This action is necessary to enhance the effectiveness of salmon bycatch measures by (1) exempting pollock vessels from Chinook and chum salmon savings area closures if they participate in an inter- cooperative agreement (ICA) to reduce salmon bycatch, and (2) exempting vessels participating in non-pollock trawl fisheries from chum salmon savings area closures because these fisheries intercept minimal amounts of salmon. Comment period through June 4, 2007.
- 72 FR 14069, March 26, 2007. Notice of availability for BSAI Groundfish Amendment 84. If approved, Amendment 84 would exempt vessels participating in an inter-cooperative agreement (ICA) to reduce salmon bycatch from Chinook and chum salmon savings area closures, and exempt vessels participating in non-pollock trawl fisheries from the chum salmon savings area. Comment period through May 25, 2007.
- Initial Review Draft Environmental Assessment on Bering Sea Non-Chinook Salmon PSC Management Measures, March 2012 and NPFMC action
- Scoping Report, May 2009
- 74 FR 798, January 8, 2009. Notice of intent to prepare either an Environmental Assessment or an Environmental Impact Statement on measures to minimize non–Chinook salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea. Comment period through March 23, 2009.
- Chum Salmon Bycatch Discussion Paper, December 2008
- EA/RIR/FRFA for Modifying existing Chinook and chum salmon savings areas: Final Rule Implementing Amendment 84 to the Fishery Management Plan for Groundfish of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Management Area, October 2007
- NPFMC Bering Sea Chum Salmon Bycatch Management
- Chinook Salmon Bycatch Management
- Alaska Salmon Fishery Mangement