Endangered Species Act (ESA) - Section 7
Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) outlines the procedures for Federal interagency cooperation to conserve Federally listed species and designated critical habitat.
Section 7(a)(1) directs the Secretary of Commerce/Secretary of the Interior to review other programs administered by them and utilize such programs to further the purposes of the ESA. It also directs all other Federal agencies to utilize their authorities in furtherance of the purposes of the ESA by carrying out programs for the conservation of species listed pursuant to the ESA.
Under section 7(a)(2) of the ESA, Federal agencies must consult with NOAA Fisheries on activities that may affect a listed species. These interagency, or section 7, consultations are designed to assist Federal agencies in fulfilling their duty to ensure any action they authorize, fund, or carry out is not likely to jeopardize the continued existence of a listed species or result in the destruction or adverse modification of designated critical habitat. In fulfilling these requirements, each agency must use the best scientific and commercial data available.
ESA Regulations - Section 7 and Critical Habitat
- ESA Fact Sheet - Protecting Marine Resources
- Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended
- Rules and Notices about revisions to ESA Regulations
Section 7 Consultations - Interagency Cooperation
- Expedited Informal Consultation
- Biological Opinions (Alaska)
- Code of Federal Regulations: Title 50 - Wildlife and Fisheries, Part 402 - Interagency Cooperation
Critical Habitat Regulations
- Code of Federal Regulations: Title 50 - Wildlife and Fisheries
- Interactive map: Threatened and endangered (T&E) marine mammals and critical habitat under NMFS jurisdiction in Alaska
- ESA Species in Alaska: (NMFS managed species) Endangered, Threatened and Candidate Species
- ESA Species in the U.S. (under NMFS' jurisdiction)
- Occurrence of Western Distinct Population Segment Steller Sea Lions East of 144° W. Longitude
- Occurrence of Listed Humpback Whales in Alaska