Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee 2006 - 2010
Looking for current SSL Mitgation Committee materials?: See the NPFMC's website.
Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee Reference Materials 2006 - 2010
Table of Contents
- Logistical Information - Meetings, Implementation Schedule, Contact Information
- SSLMC Proposals and BOF Package, May 2007
- Regulations and Judicial Actions
- Related Documents and Analyses
- Protection Measure Maps
- Other Research
- Meeting Minutes, Presentations and Papers
- Implementation Schedule , November 2007
- Consultation Timeline
- Meeting Notices
- Council three meeting outlook
- Committee Contact Information
- Proposal Format (.doc)
- 72 FR 72676, December 21, 2007 . The North Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee will meet in Seattle, WA at the Nexus Hotel (January 6) and the Alaska Fishery Science Center (January 7 and 8).
- 72 FR 56060, October 2, 2007 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion Mitigation committee meeting October 16-18, 2007, Seattle, WA.
- 72 FR 31057, June 5, 2007 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee meeting in Seattle, WA, on June 19–21, 2007.
- 72 FR 18461, April 12, 2007 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee meeting May 7-10, Seattle, WA.
- 72 FR 13750, March 23, 2007 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee meeting April 16–17, Juneau, AK.
- 71 FR 76278, December 20, 2006 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee meeting, January 8-9, Anchorage, AK.
- 71 FR 56968, September 28, 2006 . The North Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Sea Lion Mitigation Committee (SSLMC) will meet in Seattle, WA, October 30 - Nov 1, 2006.
- 71 FR 56968, September 28, 2006 . The North Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Sea Lion Mitigation Committee (SSLMC) will meet in Anchorage, AK, October 16–18, 2006.
- 71 FR 51188, August 29, 2006 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion Mitigation committee meeting September 12-14, Seattle, WA.
- 71 FR 43475, August 1, 2006 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion Mitigation committee meeting August 28, Seattle, WA.
- 71 FR 43475, August 1, 2006 . Notice of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council's Steller Sea Lion public teleconference August 25, 2006.
Regulations and Judicial Actions
Humane Society litigation against SSL research permits
- U.S. District Court Opinion , May 2006
- U.S. District Court Order , May 2006
- Endangered Species Act (ESA) of 1973
- Destruction or Adverse Modification Guidance
- Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) of 1972
- Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, as amended through October 1996
- January 2003 Final Rule to implement SSL protection measures
- December 2004 Final Rule to revise SSL protection measures
Related Documents and Analyses
- Draft Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) and Gulf of Alaska (GOA) Groundfish Fisheries Section 7 Consultation - Draft 2010 Biological Opinion, August 2010
- Revision to the action for the reinitiation of Endangered Species Act (ESA) Section 7 Consultation for the Alaska Groundfish Fisheries, January 2010
- Steller Sea Lion Draft Recovery Plan
- 2005 Alaska Marine Mammal Stock Assessment Report
- Biological Assessment of the Alaska Groundfish Fisheries and NMFS Managed Endangered Species Act Listed Marine Mammals and Sea Turtles
- 2006 Non-pup counts
- Draft BiOp chapters
- Alaska Groundfish Harvest Specifications Environmental Impact Statement, January 2007
- Considerations Relevant to the Process of Reinitiating Formal Section 7 Consultation on the Groundfish Fisheries of the North Pacific for Species Listed under the Endangered Species Act, October 2005
- Biological Opinion for Listed Species In the BSAI Groundfish FMP and the GOA Groundfish FMP
- Review of the November 2000 Biological Opinion and Incidental Take Statement with respect to the Western Stock of the Steller seal lion
- Biological Assessment for Reinitiation of Consultation for Amendments 61/61 and 70/70
- Final Supplement to the Endangered Species Act, Biological Opinion and Incidental Take Statement of October 2001 , June 2003
- List of Fisheries 1996 - Present
Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation (SAFE) Documents
- 2007 North Pacific Groundfish Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Reports for 2008
- Historical North Pacific Groundfish Stock Assessments
- 2007 and 2008 Harvest Specifications
Protection Measures Maps
- SSL Protection Measures
- SSL Protection Measures MapViewer application
- SSL Critical Habitat
- NMFS Reporting Areas
- Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee
- NOAA Fisheries Steller Sea Lion website
- National Marine Mammal Laboratory
- North Pacific Fisheries Management Council
- ADF&G Commercial Fisheries Division
- Marine Mammal Research Consortium
- Gulf Apex Predator-prety Project
- ADFG and NMFS Telemetry Research 2001
- Is It Food II - Workshop Report
- Accounting of SSL Mortality, Loughlin and York 2001
- Seasonal and Spatial Differences in the Western Stock of SSLs, Sinclair and Zepplin
- Temporary Captivity as a Research Tool: Comprehensive Study of Wild Pinnipeds Under Controlled Conditions, Mellish et al.
- Habitat Requirements and Extinction Risks of Eastern North Pacific Right Whales - AFSC Report
- Deep genetic subdivision within a continuously distributed and highly vagile marine mammal, the Steller’s sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus)
- Economic Valuation news article
January 26-28, 2010
- Letter from NMFS to NPFMC Update on the Steller Sea Lion Groundfish Fisheries Biological Opionion
- Table d4.1. Summary of catch (mt) in critical habitat by zones from 1991-2008 in the Bering Sea area
- Table RCA 4.1. The catch of pollock, Pacific cod, Atka mackerel, and arrowtooth flounder by critical habitat zone, 1991-2008 in RCA 1. There is no critical habitat foraging zone designated for this Area.
- Table RCA-1999-2008-Area 1. Comparison of the change from 1999 and 2008 as a percent of the portion of catch in critical habitat taken by specific gear by zones within Area 1
- Publications Discussed
- Durban et al. (in press): Mark-recapture estimate of the number of transient killer whales using coastal waters from the Central GOA to the Central Aleutians.
- Conners and Munro (2008). Effects of commercial fishing on local abundance of Pcod in the Bering Sea
- Kuker and Barrett-Lennard (2010). Evaluation of role of killer whale predation in the decline of sea otters in the Aleutians.
- February 2010 memo from NMML summarizing results of SSL food habits study conducted in June 2009 at Dalnoi Point, St. George.
January 6-8, 2008
- Meeting minutes - to be compiled post-meeting
- New SSL timeline (XLS)
- NPFMC Three meeting outlook
- Federal Register NOI
- Proposal Information
- Meeting minutes
- Goals and Objectives
- Meeting Minutes
- Loughlin review of ESA recovery criteria
- 2007 Draft Recovery Plan
- Comparison Outline
- Differences between 2006 and 2007 documents
- June 2006 Meeting Minutes
- Terms of Reference for CIE review
- Terms of Reference for NPRB Review
- NMFS Recovery Plan Guidelines
- NMFS Responses to Comments received on May 2006 draft SSL recovery plan
- PRT updates
- Agenda and Detailed Agenda
- Meeting Minutes and handouts
- Meeting Minutes
- Research Presentations
- Proposal Presentations
- PRT Scoring subcommittee
2006 Minutes, Presentations and Papers
- February 15
- April 25-27
- List of Papers
- Worldwide distribution and Abundance of Killer Whales, Forney and Wade
- Feeding Ecology of Eastern North Pacific Killer Whales, Herman, et al.
- Estimating Abundance of Killer Whales in Nearshore Waters, Zerbini, et al.
- Use of Chemical Profiles in Assessing Feeding Ecology, Krahn, et al.
- Fecundity Declines in SSL – New Conservation Priorities, Holmes, et al.
- SSL Age Structure, Holmes, et al.
- Supplementary Methods, Holmes
- Assessing the Role of Predators in Ecological Communities, Williams
- Sequential megafaunal collapse in the North Pacific Ocean: An ongoing legacy of industrial whaling? Spring, et al.
- May 16-18
- Trade-off Tool Overview, Criteria, DeMaster: .pdf, .xls
- Compendium of SSL Research 2000-2006 (updated 6/21/06)
- Steller Sea Lion Telemetry and Diet Studies, Fadley (Large PPT file: 25 MB)
- Humpback Whales, SPLASH Project
- North Pacific Universities Marine Mammal Research Consortium, Trites
- Insights into the Timing of Weaning and the Attendance Patterns of Lactating Steller Sea Lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in Alaska During Winter, Spring, and Summer, Trites, et al.
- Fishery Interaction Team (FIT)
- State of Alaska, Department of Fish and Game
- Alaska Sea Life Center
- ASLC Steller Sea Lion Research - A Brief Overview
- Developing New Techniques to Assess the Impact of Prey Availability and Predation on Steller Sea Lion Populations, Norberg
- Contaminants in Steller's Sea Lions, Myers/Atkinson
- Remote Video Monitoring of Steller Sea Lions, Maniscalco
- Associations Between The Alaska Steller Sea Lion Decline and Commercial Fisheries, Hennen
- The SSL Decline and The GOA/BS Commercial Fishery, Hennen Dissertation
- SSL and Fisheries Interactions, Hennen
- The Transient Project, Melish
- June 26
- Dan Hennen SSL Fisheries Interactions
- Nicole Kimball Pacific Cod
- Peggy Merritt Presentation and Paper
- Greg O'Corry -Crowe
- John Bickham
- Steve Barbeux
- June 27-30
- July 25-27
- August 28-30
- SSC Documents
- September 12-13
- October 30,31 and November 1