Subsistence Halibut Fishing in Alaska
Text Only: Yes | No

National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Regional Office

Subsistence Halibut Fishing in Alaska

Subsistence Halibut Program Information

halibut on longline
Halibut on longline. Photo: John Hyde, ADF&G

Subsistence halibut is halibut caught by a rural resident or a member of an Alaska Native tribe for direct personal or family consumption as food, sharing for personal or family consumption as food, or customary trade.

Before fishing under the subsistence halibut regulations, fishermen must obtain a Subsistence Halibut Registration Certificate (SHARC). Special permits for community harvest, ceremonial, and educational purposes also are available to qualified Alaska communities and Alaska Native Tribes. Permit holders must comply with SHARC registration and reporting processes.


Subsistence Halibut Registration Certificate (SHARC)

Community, Ceremonial and Educational Permit Applications and Logs

Replacement Application


Subsistence Halibut Reports

SHARCs and Permits Issued 2015
(updated daily)
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
List of all SHARCs issued, by holder: .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv .pdf  or .csv
List of Tribal SHARC holders, by eligible Tribe: .pdf or .csv .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf
List of Rural SHARC holders, by eligible Community: .pdf or .csv .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf
Summary counts of SHARCs issued: .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf
Special Permits issued: (includes Community Harvest, Ceremonial and Educational Permits) .pdf or .csv .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf .pdf


Regulations to implement subsistence halibut fishing were published in the Federal Register on April 15, 2003 and became effective May 15, 2003. To participate in this fishery, you must hold a Subsistence Halibut Registration Certificate (SHARC).

Contact Information

Restricted Access Management Program
National Marine Fisheries Service
PO Box 21668
Juneau, AK 99802-1668
Phone: (907) 586-7474 or 586-7202 (option #2)
Phone: (800) 304-4846 (option #2)
Fax: (907) 586-7354
Email: RAM Program

← Restricted Access Management | Sport Halibut