Table of Contents
Status Review and Petitions to Delist
- Extension of a public comment period on the 90-day finding on a petition to designate the Central North Pacific population of humpback whale as a Distinct Population Segment and delist them under the Endangered Species Act. Comment period extended through August 27, 2014.
- News Release: NOAA announces positive finding on State of Alaska’s petition to delist humpback whale population, June 2014
- Notice of a 90-day finding on a petition to identify the Central North Pacific population of humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) as a Distinct Population Segment (DPS) and delist the DPS under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). NMFS finds that the petition presents substantial scientific or commercial information indicating that the petitioned action may be warranted. Comment period through July 28, 2014.
- State of Alaska Petition to Designate the Central North Pacific Stock of the Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) as a Distinct Population Segment (DPS) and Remove the DPS from the List of Endangered and Threatened Species under the ESA, February 2014
- Notice of a 90-day finding on a petition to identify the North Pacific population of the humpback whale as a Distinct Population Segment (DPS) and delist the DPS under the ESA. NMFS is initiating a status review of the North Pacific population of the humpback whale to determine whether the petitioned action is warranted. Scientific and commercial information pertinent to the petitioned action must be received by October 28, 2013.
- Hawaii Fishermen's Alliance for Conservation and Tradition Petition to Classify the North Pacific Humback Whale Population as a Distinct Population Segment (DPS) and Delist the DPS under the Endangered Species Act, April 2013
- Notice of initiation of a status review of the humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA). NMFS requests information on all humpback whale populations in all waters worldwide that has become available since the last humpback whale status review in 1999. Submissions requested by October 13, 2009.
Humpback whales bubble net feeding. Photo: John Moran, NOAA Fisheries, Alaska Fisheries Science Center permit.
Management and Recovery
- Global Review of Humpback Whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) - NOAA Technical Memorandum, March 2011
- Final Recovery Plan 1991 (12 MB)
- Stock Assessment Reports
- Commission on Environmental Cooperation Humpback Whale Conservation Action Plan for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico (external link)
- Humpback Whale Status Review 1999, Marine Fisheries Review: The Great Whales: History and Status of Six Species Listed as Endangered Under the U.S. Endangered Species Act of 1973
Endangered Species Act Section 7 Consultations
- Biological Opinion - Issuance of Incidental Harassment Authorization under Section101(a)(5)(a) of the Marine Mammal Protection Act to TGS-NOPEC Geophysical Company ASA (TGS) for Marine 2D Seismic Activities in the Federal and International Waters in the Chucki Sea, during the 2013 Open Water Season, July 2013
- Biological Opinion: Oil and Gas Leasing and Exploration Activities in the U.S. Beaufort and Chukchi Seas, Alaska, April 2013
- Biological Opinion: Vessel Quotas and Operating Requirements for Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, August 2003
- Alaska Marine Mammal Viewing Guidelines and Regulations
- Juneau Humpback Whale Fluke Catalog
- Responsible Marine Wildlife Viewing and Ocean Etiquette Program
- Watchable Wildlife Marine Viewing Working Group Guidelines
- Summary of Reported Whale-Vessel Collisions in Alaskan Waters, J. Neilson, C. Gabriele, A. Jensen, K. Jackson, and J. Straley, Journal of Marine Biology, Volume 2012, Article ID 106282, 2012
- Whale Entanglements
Research and Monitoring
Humpback whale fluke. Photo: John Moran, NOAA Fisheries, Alaska Fisheries Science Center permit.
- Strong maternal fidelity and natal philopatry shapegenetic structure in North Pacific humpback whales, Marine Ecology Press, Vol. 494: 291–306, December 2013
- SPLASH Final Report: Structure of Populations, Levels of Abundance and Status of Humpback Whales in the North Pacific, May 2008
- Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Humpback Whale Program (external link)
- Results of humpback whale population monitoring in Glacier Bay and adjacent waters: Janet L. Neilson, Christine M. Gabriele, Phoebe B.S. Vanselow, Natural Resource Technical Report NPS/GLBA/NRTR—2013/796, National Park Service, 2012 (external link)
- ESA Section 7 Consultation - Biological Opinion: Vessel Quotas and Operating Requirements for Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, August 2003
REGIONAL and NATIONAL:
- Cascadia Research Collective (external link)
- National Marine Mammal Laboratory
- Ocean Acoustics Program
- NOAA Fisheries National Humpback Whale Information
- Marine Mammal Commission
- Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary
- How to Report Marine Mammal Strandings
- Kid's Humpback Page